2005 Jan 29 10:45

Re: [vox-tech] Sarge Printing Problem

On Friday 28 January 2005 17:59, Rick Moen wrote:

> To my knowledge, current sound-setup problems owe much to the fact that
> everyone's moving rapidly away from the old kernel-bundled oss-free
> driver set towards ALSA ones, and ALSA's configuration tools continue to
> be simply awful.  Back when we all used oss-free, the simple fix was to
> use the sndconfig package (RH-written, kindly placed under GPL by them,
> and then packaged up for Debian and other distros).  With ALSA, I don't
> personally know of anything analogous.
>
> (If anyone knows of such, I'll be grateful to hear of it.)

I snatched this from a post on a Debian list:

Once you have a 2.4 or 2.6 kernel installed, run (as root)
alsaconf. This should detect your sound card and do some of the basic
setup. With a bit of luck that might all you need.

Alsaconf is in the alsa-utils package, so if it's not already on your
system:

                    apt-get -u install alsa-utils