2005 Jan 27 05:18

Re: [vox-tech] tight-vnc, can't ping box from windows

On Wed 26 Jan 05, 11:30 PM, tech_dev(Alex Mandel) <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> said:
> So I tried tcpdump(or I should say windump) and couldn't figure out how
> to get it to work. But no matter I ran ethereal which seems to give the
> same kinds of info.

Windump?  No, you don't understand. Well, either that or *I* don't
understand.  :)

XP is sending out icmp packets.  What SHOULD be happening is that Linux
should be receiving the packets, and sending out reply packets.  But what's
really happening is that Linux isn't replying at all.  So the big question
is:

   Is Linux really seeing those packets?

The question is definitely _not_:

   Is XP sending out the packets?

Now given that, what you want to do is use XP to ping Linux.  Because you're
interested in whether Linux is seeing those packets or not, you're going to
run tcpdump on Linux.  It's going to look something like:

Because you don't care about packets sent/received on XP, you're not going
to run windump on XP.

> PS: I looked at iptables but couldn't quite decipher what I was looking
> for and nothing stood out as incorrect.

If you saw anything at all, Linux has a firewall installed.  That is
certainly your problem.

If it's less than 50-75 lines, go ahead and post what you see.

BTW, this is a good time to ask - what distro aren you using?

Pete