2005 Jan 26 18:32

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 14:46 -0800, Richard Burkhart wrote:

> I decided to
> view this as a learning experience, pulled down 2.4.29 source from
> kernel.org, and set about pounding my head into the desk ... er ... um
> ... finally learning kernel compiles.

Well, it should be as simple as:

... change into the directory your kernel tarball created
make xconfig (or make menuconfig if you are not running X)
make zImage modules
... go and get yourself a cup of tea ...
su (to become root)
make modules_install
make install

Then you may need to edit your boot loader (I think you said that you
were using grub?) configuration.  People who are running debian can tell
you more about doing that. For me, /etc/grub.conf is the thing to look
at.

Let me know if you have any trouble with ndiswrapper. Make sure not to
enable 4K stacks when you are configuring your kernel!

--
Josh Parsons
Philosophy Department