2005 Jan 26 16:39

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Richard Burkhart wrote:

- Is there a way through dpkg to clear out my damaged 2.4.29 kernel (w) any of its other wreckage (modules, etc).
I've been doing kernel compiles the Debian way for a while. The dpkg --purge command works fine if you get the package name right. However, it gripes if you try to remove the active kernel. My preference is to compile and install an amended kernel, dpkg --purge the old kernel, make sure the old kernel in lilo points to the original working kernel, and run lilo. I usually keep the old kernel deb packages and corresponding .config files for reference, and incorporate the date and relevant machine name into the file name. It has worked pretty smoothly. Good luck!

Chris