2005 Jan 26 15:43

[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

[vox-tech] Kernel compiles with a dash of debian magic

I'm trying to learn the arcane art of kernel compiles ... my goal is to get ndiswrapper compiled as a module, operational, and driving a linksys wireless card.

Thanks to a guide at http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949 I've got the 'compile' part down, using make-kpkg to build the kernel image as a .deb file and automagically install it.

Of *course* there's something I'll do wrong. Last night's attempt to build a trimmed 2.4.29 kernel is kernel panic'ing in the boot process. Sooo ... time to try again. Except -- how do I get rid of the damaged kernel & modules so I can try again?
The guide at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html suggests the command "dpkg -P /boot/(kernel image name)" to uninstall it. That didn't work
Trying to remove the kernel through 'dpkg (-r / -P) [kernel image .deb name]' isn't doing anything either. (I read the dpkg manpage and guessed at that part).

So I've googled ... I've read manpages ... I've R T'ed the effing M ... and I'm still wondering:

- Is there a way through dpkg to clear out my damaged 2.4.29 kernel (w) any of its other wreckage (modules, etc).

or

- Where on the filesystem do I need to go through to manually remove the flipping thing? (The kernel image, the modules directory, the entries in GRUB, etc.)?

Thanks!