2005 Jan 20 11:11

Re: [vox-tech] Sparc-based distro?

Robert G. Scofield said:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 00:07, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
>> On Wednesday 19 January 2005 22:48, Josh Parsons flailed at a keyboard and
>>

>> Meanwhile, I see you're at the Philosophy department.  Spiffy.  I got
my BA
>> in philosophy from UCD in 1992.  Is Dr. Mattey still around?
>
> Not only is Dr. Mattey still around, but Dr. Mattey is running Linux.
And not
> only is Dr. Matttey running Linux for himself, he installed it on a student
> machine when I was there.

I am not at all surprised to learn that Dr. Mattey is a Linux user.  He
always was a bit of a nonconformist.  He's a great professor, and served
me well as my undergraduate advisor as well.

I got my BA, as I mentioned; now I wish I'd stuck it out and gone on for
graduate work in philosophy as well.  Ah, well.

> Linux saved me when I wrote my dissertation.  My dissertation was typed
in Word Perfect 5.1 for DOS.  I was at U.C.D. for so long  that I had to
deal with both U.C.D. and the Philosophy Dept. phasing out support for
5.1.  So I
> couldn't print on campus anymore.  So I tried Word Perfect 8 for
Windows. But Word Perfect didn't have the same pages numbers on the
screen as it did
> for the hard copies it printed out.   So it was very difficult to
correct typos in a long document.  For example if you wanted to correct
something on
> p. 98 of the printed copy, it was very difficult to find it on the
screen. Word Perfect 8 for Linux, on the other hand, retained WYSIWYG
for 5.1 for DOS.  I don't know how I could have finished a 300 page
dissertation without
> Linux.

That's a cool story.  I was never able to get WP8 to work for Linux (and
finally just gave up, even after spending $130 on it), though I really
wanted to; WP was always my favorite word processor (OOo is decent, but
doesn't have the One True Feature -- "reveal codes" -- that made WP such a
superior product).

By the way, I tried to reply off-list to you (this seemed a bit chatty for
vox-tech), but got a "user unknown" error.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)