2005 Jan 17 09:40

Re: [vox-tech] CVS problem: .cvsignore is being ignored

On Sun 16 Jan 05,  3:18 PM, Micah Cowan said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a file:
> >
> >  foo.tex
> >
> >in CVS.  I want to modify foo.tex on my local hard drive, but keep the
> >repository copy "as-is".  In other words, I don't want my changes to
> >foo.tex
> >to be added to the repository version.
> >
> >If I place 'foo.tex' into .cvsignore (located in the root of my checkout
> >directory), and do a general:
> >
> >  cvs commit
> >
> >isn't foo.tex supposed to be ignored by the "commit" command?  I'm asking
> >because it's not.   :)   Although 'foo.tex' is in .cvsignore, whenever I
> >make changes to that file, "cvs commit" still wants to commit my changes.
> >
> >Using strace, I determined that CVS IS reading .cvsignore, and even reads
> >"foo.tex" from that file.  Yet when I do a "cvs commit", it still wants to
> >update the repository copy of foo.tex with my local modified copy.
> >
> >Any ideas why?
> >
> >Pete
>
> If .cvsignore is only intended to keep files out of the repository that
> are not already in it (this sounds possible),

This makes perfect sense to me.  Unfortunately, I found out it's not right.

.cvsignore honors "update" but does not honor "commit", so it looks like we
have the worst of all possible worlds.

Perhaps there's a reason for this that I'm not thinking of, but if not,
let's hope the subversion people change this behavior.

Pete