2005 Jan 16 15:18

[vox-tech] CVS problem: .cvsignore is being ignored

[vox-tech] CVS problem: .cvsignore is being ignored

Hi all,

I have a file:

   foo.tex

in CVS.  I want to modify foo.tex on my local hard drive, but keep the
repository copy "as-is".  In other words, I don't want my changes to foo.tex
to be added to the repository version.

If I place 'foo.tex' into .cvsignore (located in the root of my checkout
directory), and do a general:

   cvs commit

isn't foo.tex supposed to be ignored by the "commit" command?  I'm asking
because it's not.   :)   Although 'foo.tex' is in .cvsignore, whenever I
make changes to that file, "cvs commit" still wants to commit my changes.

Using strace, I determined that CVS IS reading .cvsignore, and even reads
"foo.tex" from that file.  Yet when I do a "cvs commit", it still wants to
update the repository copy of foo.tex with my local modified copy.

Any ideas why?

Pete