2005 Jan 13 13:46

Re: [vox-tech] Perl programming problem

You have to set the sender (I guess the From: line) to an e-mail address
that is valid from the internet.  "localhost.localdomain" is, from
unexmail.ucdavis.edu's point of view, is itself, and it knows "richard"
doesn't exist on its mailing system.

Also, look into sendmail's "-f" option.

-Mark

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

> I'm trying to write a script which will live on my server at home and
> which will ping our server at work every five minutes or so, and send an
> e-mail message when it goes down or comes back up.
>
> I've got everything working fine, except for the e-mail part.  Whenever it
> sends an e-mail out to my work account, it bounces back with the following
> message:
>
> The original message was received at Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:55:18 -0800
> from hagrid [127.0.0.1]

> <rcrawford@unexmail.ucdavis.edu>
>     (reason: 553 5.1.8 <richard@localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender
> address richard@localhost.localdomain does not exist)

> ... while talking to smtp.ucdavis.edu.:
> <<< 553 5.1.8 <richard@localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender address
> richard@localhost.localdomain does not exist
> 501 5.6.0 Data format error
>
> I'm guessing that this is probably a sendmail configuration issue, but
> I've messed around with that a bit and haven't had any success (I'm
> worried about messing with it too much since).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> --
> Sláinte,
> Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)
> http://www.mossroot.com   http://www.stonegoose.com/catseyeview
> "We live as though the world were how it should be,
> to show it what it can be."
> --"Angel", Season 4 ep. 1

Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius