2005 Jan 13 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] [help@google.com: Re: [#19464334] Searching fordotfiles]

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 03:46:54PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 05, 12:40 PM, Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> said:
<snip>
> > A bucket for ".forward", a bucket for "forward.", a bucket for
> > "forward," a bucket for "forward;", a bucket for "forward?", a bucket for
> > "forward!", ... and so on. :^)  (Oh hey, maybe we want to search for
> > "forward...", too... distinct from "forward." ;^) )
>
> Huh?  I advocated no such thing.  I advocate being able to search for a word
> beginning with a dot.
>
> As in ".forward".

No, I know... so do am I.

> I don't care about "forward," or "forward!" or any other variation you
> mentioned above.
>
> Again, we're talking about dotfiles.  Not general punctuation.  So I ask:
>
>    Would that REALLY cause their database to melt down in panic?

THAT would not.  But what they responded with was generic:
"If we support punctuation, our database will melt down in panic" ;)

So I was just explaining their resaoning.  Someone (WE) need to explain
to them that supporting simply "dotfiles" would be very useful, and since
it's not "generic punctuation support", they can probably handle it. :)

Sorry for not being clearer. :)