2005 Jan 12 10:05

Re: [vox-tech] XF86Config Question

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 03:26, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Also, don't forget about "XFree86 -configure".  This will get you in the
> right ballpark.  After writing a reasonable XF86Config-4 file, you can fine
> tune your way to the front row seats.

First, thanks to you and Jeff for responding.

XFree86 -configure doesn't work for some reason.

Here's what I think will be my last question.  I am at the stage where I am
supposed to set up an X server by making a symbolic link to /usr/X11R6/bin/X

In *Linux Unleashed* (Third ed. 1998) an X server is said to be a driver.  And
one example given of a driver that is a server is this one:  XF86_VGA16.
Another example is given in the book's illustration of how to set the server
up:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVA  /usr/X11R6/bin/X

But I can't find any drivers in /usr/X11R6/bin, and I can't find any drivers
anywhere else.  So I decided to see how SuSE does it.  Here's what SuSE does:

/usr/X11R6/bin/X -> /var/X11R6/bin/X

/var/X11R6/bin/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

But I can't find Xorg in Debian.  And "Xorg" certainly does not look like the
type of driver filed referred to in Linux Unleashed.

So I'm thinking of getting some Debian CD's somewhere and giving this net
install up, unless someone can tell me where I might find the X server on
this system.

Thanks.

Bob