2005 Jan 12 21:03

[vox-tech] XF86Config Question

This Debian Net Install is requiring a lot of work.  I'm trying to set up X,
and I keep reading warnings that one can burn out a monitor or video card if
one screws up.  That's why I'm asking this question.

I ran the xf86config program and was asked how much RAM my video card has.
I've got onboard video, and I didn't know the answer.  I couldn't find it on
the web, or in my motherboard manual.  So I picked 4096.

I notice the following in my XFConfig file:

"Section "Device"
	Identifier   "My Video Card"
        Driver       "vga"
          #unsupported card
        #VideoRAM   4096
        # Insert Clocks line here if appropriate

So it looks to me like my 4096 selection is commented out, right?  That's fine
with me because I don't know if it's right.

I've got correct settings for the horizontal and vertical sync/refresh rates.
And the "vga" driver looks like I don't have anything to worry about.

So it looks to me like I can run X (assuming I can get it up) without blowing
anything out.  Do you all agree?

Thanks.

Bob

PS.  In the meantime SuSE is working great.  So if I don't get Debian up, I'm
cool.