2005 Jan 07 18:39

Re: [vox-tech] ssh disconnects

> I've read that PuTTY has an option to send empty packets to keep the
> connection alive but I'm using Linux here so that's not an option.  I've

BAH, putty better than ssh?

> played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive options on ssh_config with no
> avail.

KeepAlive should be off (set to no) if you don't want to to have a
shell die because of a short network problem.  The keepalive option is
for tcp keepalives.  Does the putty documentation imply that the putty
setting does something else?

> I've also played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive on sshd_config on
> a local server I have root access to and it still has problems keeping the
> connection alive with my desktop over the local LAN.

So you want KeepAlive off (set to no).

> Currently, I'm more concerned with the connection to shell.sonic.net (my
> ISP's shell server) for complicated reasons, so any solution involving
> local changes is preferable to any solution involving a remote server
> change.

If you run ssh -v shell.sonic and it dies what are the last few lines of
what happens?

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering