2005 Jan 07 17:39

[vox-tech] ssh disconnects

Remote ssh disconnections have been giving me quite a trouble recently,
and I was wondering if any of you guys are having the same issue, and more
importantly, have any solutions.

You've all seen it.  It looks something like this:

  bolt:~/>Read from remote host shell.sonic.net: Connection reset by peer
  Connection to shell.sonic.net closed.

I also have an exact same problem with a local server I've setup.  Search
on the Internet shows it's probably a firewall between my computer and the
remote computer, but this happens on local connections, too, and I get the
same problem on two different LANs, *and* more recently I've been getting
disconnects even after few seconds of idle time (on shell.sonic.net;
haven't noticed it on the local server) even though I haven't modified my
system at all.  I've updated to the latest Debian/testing with no
connection improvement.  My iptable is empty:

   # iptables --list
   Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

   Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

   Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I've read that PuTTY has an option to send empty packets to keep the
connection alive but I'm using Linux here so that's not an option.  I've
played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive options on ssh_config with no
avail.  I've also played with KeepAlive and TCPKeepAlive on sshd_config on
a local server I have root access to and it still has problems keeping the
connection alive with my desktop over the local LAN.

Currently, I'm more concerned with the connection to shell.sonic.net (my
ISP's shell server) for complicated reasons, so any solution involving
local changes is preferable to any solution involving a remote server
change.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!!

-Mark

--