2005 Jan 06 11:48

Re: [vox-tech] Debian Net Install Question

On Thursday 06 January 2005 09:35, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Hi Bob,

Hi.

> You need to do two things:
>

> 1. Get the md5sum for the entire ISO file by doing:
>
>       $ md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso
>
>    The output will look something like:
>
>       6c190153f506bdf1474c728b8e5fcb90  sarge-i386-netinst.iso

This is mine:  0930068d7e95fe3294c3c53cebfe818a  sarge-i386-netinst.iso

> 2. Get what the md5sum *should* be for that file.  This may or may not be
>    tricky unless you remember where you downloaded the ISO file from.  If
>    you do remember, go back to where you downloaded the file from and
>    look for a file called
>
>       sarge-i386-netinst.041124.iso.md5.txt

Here's where I got my file:  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

I chose "netinst CD image, with Debian base" and picked "i386."

The problem is that when you choose to download the file you're not given a
date or any md5sum file.  But I found a solution.  If you click on i386 to
download, you're given the URL for the sarge iso in the Mozilla Firebird save
box.  I've discovered that I can go to the URL box in Firebird and substitute
"ftp" for "http" and then write in the URL from the save box to get into the
Debian directories that contain sarge.  And those directories do contain a
checksum file.  The present version is dated January 5th or 6th.

So I'm going to delete my iso file.  Then I'm going to put the browser into
ftp mode and write down the md5sum code for the latest version, and then I'm
going to download the new iso.  And finally I'll run md5sum after the
download.  I'll just compare the output from md5sum with what I wrote down.

Thanks for your help.  I'm saving all these posts to put in my Linux binder.

But here's a question.  What is the meaning of the message
"sarge-i386-netinst.iso: OK" when I run "md5sum sarge-i386-netinst.iso |
mdsum -c",  "sarge-i386-netinst.iso: OK"?

Bob