2005 Jan 05 12:20

Re: [vox-tech] Installing subversion from sid into a sarge box

Re: [vox-tech] Installing subversion from sid into a sarge box

Quoting Chris Jenks (jenks@resonance.org):

>   I've been wondering - when Woody is replaced by Sarge, will those
> following the stable track have to apt-get dist-upgrade, rather than
> apt-get upgrade, on release day?

Er, this will seem lame, but I'm not sure.  I personally always do
"dist-upgrade".

The difference between the two is pretty subtle:  I vaguely recall that
dist-upgrade does more intensive handling of dependencies, and is more
likely to implicitly introduce new packages you didn't specifically ask
for by name.  When I was brand-new to all this, the dist-upgrade
treatment struck me as better on balance, and so I've always used it
instead of "upgrade".

By the way, consider doing "aptitude upgrade" (or aptitude dist-upgrade)
rather than using apt-get directly.  Joey Hess has made an excellent
case for why.  See:  "Aptitude" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Debian/