2005 Jan 05 09:10

Re: [vox-tech] Installing subversion from sid into a sarge box

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to install the 1.1.1-2 version of subversion, onto my stock sarge
> box (sarge contains v1.0.9).
>
> After reading the apt manual, I seems like I should be able to add the
> unstable tree into my sources.list, add an entry into my
> /etc/apt/apt.conf like:
>
> APT::Default-Release "testing"; # to keep everything at sarge

The comment on that line is wrong... it keeps everything at testing.
When Sarge becomes stable, changes from Sid will be held in check for
awhile, and then when the change occurs you'll suddenly download all the
backed up changes at your next apt-get update, and be off and running in
the wild world of whatever the "testing" version is that follows Sarge.
I am pretty sure you should be able to use "sarge" instead of "testing" if
you want to step off the freight train at that point.

> And I'm good to go.
>
> But, I don't have a /etc/apt/apt.conf, there is a
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf which contains:
>
> iron:~# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf
> // Pre-configure all packages with debconf before they are installed.
> // If you don't like it, comment it out.
> DPkg::Pre-Install-Pkgs {"/usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt || true";};
>
> Am I supposed just create this file myself?
>
> I don't want to hose myself.  I've just finally got this machine looking
> sorta how I want it :)

I'm just a monkey with a wrench here, but I created a file called
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/60defaultrelease with contents set to the line you
quoted above this summer, and my system is still working.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing