2005 Jan 03 15:21

Re: [vox-tech] Dead ethernet on Thinkpad T20

Re: [vox-tech] Dead ethernet on Thinkpad T20

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 13:48:14 -0800
Dmitriy <ace22b@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 02 January 2005 04:54, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > Okay, I'm beginning to think the built-in ethernet NIC on this
> > Thinkpad T20 is dying... but, I'm not a very sophisticated debugger,
> > so hopefully not.
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > Also, I noticed that neither LED is lighting up on the ethernet jack
> > on the back of the laptop.  (I'm not certain whether they would if
> > there's no driver 'activating' the NIC.  If a light should be on --
> > regardless of software -- when plugged into a live network I guess
> > maybe the NIC is, in fact, dead... <:^( )
>
> Most nics only light up after they are initialized by drivers.

My DWL-122 USB Wireless adapter seems to light up even when the
appropriate drivers aren't installed, and I think the light on the
ethernet goes on pretty early in the boot process in general. I think
it's a hardware thing.