2005 Jan 03 18:49

[vox-tech] Authoring DVDs

Hi all,

I want to author DVDs on Linux.  Nothing complicated.  I want to pop a DVD
into my set-top DVD player and have it play.  No menus, no subtitles, no
language selection, no nothing.  Pop it in, and it plays.

I know the gist of basics:
   1. Avi has to be converted to mpg
   2. I *think* the audio has to be separated and converted to wav or mp2.
   3. A strict directory structure needs to be made.
   4. iso formed with a special DVD version of mkisofs
   5. Burn the iso.

As always, the devil is in the details.

I've gone through a couple of tutorials/guides, but something always goes
wrong with one of the steps, and I don't have the time to put into this to
become an expert.  For example, the Linux Gazette had a good looking
tutorial, but I couldn't get past audio extraction.  For the time being, I
need to approach this as a dumb user.

Does anybody have a guide/tutorial on how to do this that actually _worked_
for them?  Stress: "tried and actually worked".

Pete

PS- The only DVD's that I've successfully authored are with Nero.  The
quality of avi->dvd was completely unacceptable.  After posting a message on
filesoup.com, I was told that the Nero encoding system was sub-standard and
to use TMPG or CCE.   But surely I can do the job, just as well and even
faster, using open source tools?