2005 Jan 01 13:05

Re: [vox-tech] Getting new Linux box to boot

On Friday 31 December 2004 15:54, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> You can test this.  Write a little shell script called 'hello' on /mnt/lmx:
>
> ##################  cut here
> #!/bin/sh
>
> echo "Hello World"
>
> ##################  cut here
>
> Change its permissions:
>
>    chmod u+x ./hello
>
> And try to run it:
>
>    ./hello
>
> If the partition is mounted as noexec, you'll get a really wierd message
> like "bad interpreter".

It worked, so the interpreter is good.

> > Also, when I tried chroot:
> >
> > # chroot /mnt/lmx /bin/sh
> >
> > I got:
> >
> > illegal instruction
> >
> > I double checked and made sure that sh is really in /mnt/lmx/bin/sh
>
> I Googled for this, and found that "illegal instruction" from chroot comes
> from two main things:
>
>    1. Varied hardware problems
>
>    2. Running something compiled for a more advanced system.  In one case,
> a person was installing Gentoo using a stage 2 disk intended for 686 on an
> old Pentium Pro.
>
> I'm more apt to to lean towards #2.  What kind of computer are you doing
> this on?  Have you read any lmx README files?  Maybe they have "system
> requirements" or something.

There is no "system requirements" document that came with the CD, but I think
you're right about this.  There is a note on the CD insert which indicates
that what I have is a straight image of the install from a working machine in
the library where they developed this product; in fact, there is a note
reading, "...it also means that this image is currently configured for our
hardware and network".  The computer I'm using is an old Dell OptiPlex GT
with a Pentium processor.  Funny; I just assumed it was at least a Pentium
II.  It's not.

At this point, I think the best approach is to ditch LuMiX and try to build a
kiosk computer out of Debian.  I know that there was quite a bit of
discussion about this on these lists a few months back, so I'm going to go
digging around in the archives for awhile.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, but I'm pretty sure this isn't going
to work out.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com