Re: [vox-tech] vim coolness - printing code

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:22:51PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Fri 31 Dec 04, 12:07 PM, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> said:
> >
> > Or you could do this:
> >
> >    1. Visual select the code of interest
> >    2. Type:  "!enscript"  (no ':')
>
>      3. Type" "u"
>
> Ooops!  You need to type "u" to put the code back into the file.  Could be a
> tremendous blunder if you forget that last step.  There's a few way to
> eliminate that last step.
>
> But I like the fact that no macro or configuration is required.  Is there a
> way to pipe selected text *without* replacing the piped text with the output
> of the pipe?

I think you can actually do this with the :w command by providing
"!progname" instead of a file name.  For example:

    :w !enscript

In this case you do need the ":" at the front of the command.  Also make
sure that the "!" is with the command name and not with the ":w" -- that
would have a completely different effect.

Matt