Re: trusting downloaded code (was: [vox-tech] Installing Java)

Re: trusting downloaded code (was: [vox-tech] Installing Java)

Quoting Richard Harke (rharke@earthlink.net):

> For some packages I have downloaded, the signers key is retrieved from
> a different site. I also then check against a key server. This is not
> foolproof but it does make the bad guys job harder. Another factor is
> time. If I use the same sites over again, I may be able to check
> against a key I got some time ago. Presumably, if it would have been
> compromised, it would have been canceled and a new key generated.

Yes, these are both good rules of thumb.

I don't think that best practices[1] on this subject have been written
about, much.  It might make a good article.

[1] And I don't mean
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#best-practices .  ;->