Re: [vox-tech] Installing Java

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:01:00 -0800
> From: Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Installing Java
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
[snip]
> > have v1.5 , although you may prefer the Blackdown one anyway because it
> > is apparently more free and certainly easier to install and maintain
> > with apt.
>
> Just to clarify:  Since Blackdown's versions are an authorised port of
> Sun's software, they're under the same proprietary licence.
Huh. Thanks, I didn't know that. Previously I had the impression that
Blackdown was a totally Sun-independent implementation of Java, which
was why it was behind in Java compatibility, but had a more free
license. So then is more Linux compatibility at the cost of less Java
compatibility all there is to Blackdown?