Re: [vox-tech] Accessing cdrom from Tom's Root Boot

On Thursday 30 December 2004 13:17, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> Oh, oops.  Let me see if I have this straight.  You booted the operating
> system off the cdrom drive.  In other words, the kernel was read off a CD,
> and still, the cdrom drive "isn't detected"?

Sorry, I was unclear.  Nope, I'm using Tom's Root Boot on a floppy.  The
computer's set to boot from the CD-ROM drive first, but I figured it wasn't
since there was nothing in the CD-ROM to boot from.

Going through the BIOS, I find no option to automatically detect all IDE
drives.  When I go to "device list", though, the CD-ROM drive does not show
up; and I don't see the CD ROM drive listed in the list of IDE devices that
pop up at the end of the boot sequence before LILO kicks in.  So I'm guessing
that the CD-ROM drive is not being detected by the system for some reason.

Weird.  I'm going to contact the sysadmin who maintained this computer at the
library and see if he had disabled the CD-ROM drive for some reason.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com