Re: [vox-tech] Running Multiple Distros

On Thursday 30 December 2004 11:21, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 30 Dec 04, 11:11 AM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com> said:
> >
> If you run two distros, you probably want different home directories.
>
> If you wanted to "test" out a distro, there's no crime in making a single
> partition system.  It's definitely not what you want to use for your "for
> reals" system, but for the purposes of taking an OS out on a test drive,
> it's perfectly reasonable to do.

How can you have two home directories?  For example these are the relevant
partitions on this system:

/dev/hdb2 has SuSE 9.2
/dev/hdb3 is the spare
/dev/hdb7 is /home

It seems like any new distro put into /dev/hdb3 will automatically
use /dev/hdb7 (which SuSE 9.2 is using), right?  Is there anyway to install a
new distro on /dev/hdb3 and have it use a /home on /dev/hdb3?

And thanks to you and Rod and Rick for the input.  At the very least I'll
start booting SuSE 9.2 on two partitions, even if I don't put a new distro
on /dev/hdb3.

Thanks.

Bob