Re: [vox-tech] Installing Java

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:31:02AM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Simple question(s).  When you install both the java jdk & jre on the
> same machine, what do you name the links to the distribution?
>
> that is, I did it like:
>
> I installed:
>
> /usr/local/jdk1.5.0
> /usr/local/jre1.5.0
>
> then did links:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/jdk1.5.0 /usr/local/java_jdk
> ln -s /usr/local/jre1.5.0 /usr/local/java_jre
>
> maybe I should get rid of the "java_", like:
> /usr/local/jre
> /usr/local/jdk
>

> Question 2: can I install the jre and jdk into the same area instead of
> putting them in different directories?

When you install the jdk, it comes with everything from the jre
included, so you don't need to install the jre separately. Then all
you need to do after that is set an environment variable
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0, and either add $JAVA_HOME/bin to your
path or symlink the appropriate binaries into /usr/local/bin

On Debian, the best way to install Java is to download the binary
installer and then use make-jpkg from java-package to create .debs of
Java that do the right thing.

On RPM based distros, the best way to install Java is to install the
.rpm

--Ken Bloom