Re: [vox-tech] SoundBlaster 16 woes

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 10:39:21PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> One: Do you see anything interesting with this:
>
>    strace modprobe -a sb 2>&1 | egrep -v 'map|brk'

What constitutes "interesting?" ;^)

> Two: Does modprobe -v give any additional information?

Nada. :^(

> Three: sb depends on other other modules being loaded in before hand
>    ("module stacking").  Are those other modules present?  What happens
>    when you try to modprobe THEM if they aren't loaded?  It's been a long
>    time since I've used the OSS drivers, but I think the main dependency
>    is simply called "sound.o".

I've played a little with the sound and soundcore modules, but if I rmmod
both of them, and then do 'modprobe sb', none of them reappear.

Also, if I do 'modprobe sound', I'm noticing it's not loading.  Hrmm...

> Four: Have you checked debian-user?

Not yet.  I tried "#debian" and "#linuxhelp" on IRC, and then tried vox-tech,
since everyone's so helpful here. ;^)

> Five: Get rid of that card right now.

But, but, but!  I've had it for 6 years and it works 'great!'  ;^)

>  You can get a nice PCI-128 card for 8-12 bucks.

I guess I'll have to visit the local Fry's. :^)

<snip>
> Six: You better start praying right now that Rod isn't correct...   ;-)

Heh, uh oh... why, exactly?

-bill!
(not a hardware guy!)