Re: [vox-tech] SoundBlaster 16 woes

On Sunday 26 December 2004 15:05, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Hello, all!  Happy Holidays!
>
> I just got back from out of town and did an 'apt-get update && apt-get
> upgrade' on my Debian Testing box.  In the process, it apparently installed
> an updated version of the Linux kernel 2.4.27-1-686 package, and told me
> (using VERY strong words) that I needed to reboot. :^)
>
> 30 seconds later (I always forget how fast Linux reboots compared to
> WinXP!) I was up and running... /except/ sound stopped working!
>
> It's been a LONG time since I set any of this stuff up, but I believe I've
> been using the 'sb' kernel module for an ancient SoundBlaster 16 card in
> this Celeron system.  ("/etc/modules" has a line with "sb" on it ;^) )
>
> Unfortunately, when I do "modprobe sb", nothing happens.  "lsmod" doesn't
> show the 'sb' module loaded (and "rmmod sb" complains that it's not
> loaded).
>
> I checked 'dmesg', /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog and see nothing
> in any of them when I run the 'modprobe' command.
>
> Is there somewhere else I should be looking, or other things I can try?

My x86 system was installed with Debian and the kernel was 2.4.26 so I still
have a /lib/modules/2.4.26-1-386 directory. (I have since gone to kernel
2.6.8)  in sub-directory kernel/drivers/sound is a sb.o so I guess that
would be the sound blaster driver. You might check the corresponding
place in your /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-686 directory

Richard Harke