Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Yep, "ls -l" would be helpful, but for seeing which files are symlinks. Hopefully you have 2 separate kernels available, "2.6.8-24.10-um" and "2.6.8-24.10-default", and that one is not a symlink to the other. From your first post, the errors seemed to be about the "um" kernel. Maybe we can try to boot the "default" kernel. This will require some manual editing of grub.conf (or maybe menu.1st; on my system, menu.1st is a symlink to grub.conf). Can you share a "ls -l" of /boot and /boot/grub?

Jonathan
Here is what ls -l of /boot shows as far as symbolic links; it looks like there are 4:

"System.map-2.6.8-24.10-default
System.map-2.6.8-24.10-um
backup_mbr

boot (pale blue) -> .
config-2.6.8-24.10-default
config-2.6.8-24.10-um
grug (blue)
initrd (green) -> initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um

initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default
initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um
linux (pale blue) -> linux-2.6.8-24.10-um
linux-2.6.8-24.10-um (green)
memtest.bin

message
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-i386-default.gz (red)
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-um-um.gz (red)
vmlinux-2.6.8-24.10-default.gz (red)
vmlinux (pale blue) -> vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default
vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default"

As for ls -l for /boot/grub, there are a lot of files there. Two of the files are menu.lst and menu.lst.old. There were no arrows at all. So I assume that there are no symbolic links in /boot/grub.

I did a "less command" for menu.lst, and this looks like the file that would have to be edited. There's a lot of complicated stuff in there.

Bob