Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

On Thu 23 Dec 04,  7:45 PM, Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net> said:
> Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> >Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >

> >>Jonathan's suggestion is the most economical and likely to succeed.
> >>Let's
> >>see what's inside of /boot.  I'm hoping there will be more than one
> >>kernel.
> >>
> >>Pete
> >>

> >Okay, with the duplicate system I had a hard time figuring out which was
> >the "working" one.  So here's the info.  If the entry does not appear in
> >white in /boot, then the color of the entry is in parentheses following
> >the entry.  I hope my handwritten notes are correct.
> >
> >"System.map-2.6.8-24.10-default
> >System.map-2.6.8-24.10-um
> >backup_mbr
> >
> >boot (pale blue)
> >config-2.6.8-24.10-default
> >config-2.6.8-24.10-um
> >grug (blue)
> >initrd (green)
> >
> >initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default
> >initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um
> >linux (pale blue)
> >linux-2.6.8-24.10-um (green)
> >memtest.bin
> >
> >message
> >symvers-2.6.8-24.10-i386-default.gz (red)
> >symvers-2.6.8-24.10-um-um.gz (red)
> >vmlinux-2.6.8-24.10-default.gz (red)
> >vmlinux (pale blue)
> >vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default"
> >
> >I'm wondering if I should have done a ls -l to get dates for these.
> >

> Yep, "ls -l" would be helpful, but for seeing which files are symlinks.
>   Hopefully you have 2 separate kernels available, "2.6.8-24.10-um" and
> "2.6.8-24.10-default", and that one is not a symlink to the other.  From
> your first post, the errors seemed to be about the "um" kernel.  Maybe
> we can try to boot the "default" kernel.  This will require some manual
> editing of grub.conf (or maybe menu.1st; on my system, menu.1st is a
> symlink to grub.conf).  Can you share a "ls -l" of /boot and /boot/grub?
>
> Jonathan

I literally don't know anything about grub, but if he:

   booted a rescue disk
   mounted the root partition
   went into the root partition
   did chroot
   ran grub-install

Wouldn't that recreate the menu with all available kernels?

I can't figure out why a distro would ship a kernel, make reiserfs the
default filesystem for their OS, and not ship kernels with reiserfs built
in.  Modules are great, but you don't play footsie with your filesystem.  It
has to be there, no ifs ands or buts.

Pete