Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Jonathan's suggestion is the most economical and likely to succeed. Let's
see what's inside of /boot. I'm hoping there will be more than one kernel.

Pete

Okay, with the duplicate system I had a hard time figuring out which was the "working" one. So here's the info. If the entry does not appear in white in /boot, then the color of the entry is in parentheses following the entry. I hope my handwritten notes are correct.

"System.map-2.6.8-24.10-default
System.map-2.6.8-24.10-um
backup_mbr

boot (pale blue)
config-2.6.8-24.10-default
config-2.6.8-24.10-um
grug (blue)
initrd (green)

initrd-2.6.8-24.10-default
initrd-2.6.8-24.10-um
linux (pale blue)
linux-2.6.8-24.10-um (green)
memtest.bin

message
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-i386-default.gz (red)
symvers-2.6.8-24.10-um-um.gz (red)
vmlinux-2.6.8-24.10-default.gz (red)
vmlinux (pale blue)
vmlinuz-2.6.8-24.10-default"

I'm wondering if I should have done a ls -l to get dates for these.

I'm going to have to attend to some family matters right now. But I'll be back to this later tonight.

Thanks.

Bob

PS- A good project after this is done is to compile your own kernel -- one
that has vital modules, like filesystems, built in rather than loaded as
modules.

Me?!