January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Rod Roark wrote:

If it's not mounted then you can mount it with something
like this:

mkdir /myroot
mount -t reiserfs /dev/hdb1 /myroot

This assumes your SuSE root partition is /dev/hdb1 (first
partiton on secondary drive), change accordingly.

Then, see what's in /myroot/etc/lilo.conf or in
/myroot/etc/grub.conf, depending on which of these exists,
and tell us what you find.
Okay, this was very helpful. At the very least I was able to go into my home directory and get the mount points for my partitions. I can now make sense out of the partitions in YAST if I do have to install. So for me that 's great progress.

Here is grub.conf:
"root(hd1,1)
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage 2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd1,1) /boot/grub.menu.lst
quit"

I'm not exactly sure about the spacing because I'm going from my handwritten notes. The /boot/grub.menu.lst file looks like it might be interesting. Maybe I could add the duplicate install there, and boot up. But that wouldn't solve the kernel panic problem.

Okay, so it looks like I can slowly navigate with the rescue prompt now. Does anybody have any idea about what I can about the original kernel panic message. Jonathan suggested using the old kernel. How would I do that?

I'm just happy to get my partition information with Rod's help. So if we can't pull off solving the kernel panic problem, that's okay.

Bob