Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

If you do reinstall, consider using ext3 instead of reiserfs - you'll have
a more reliable system since extN is built into the kernel by default on
most distributions.  Not that your current system isn't recoverable -- a
rescue CD, a little lilo/grub'ing and you'd be back to your old kernel
without much trouble (probably.)  But I certainly understand how you feel
- I reinstalled Linux several times the first time I used it.

-Mark

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> > Don't panic because of a kernel panic!
> >
> > Your system should be recoverable.  From what I can tell, the module
> > for reiserfs in your new kernel is bad.  The simple solution is to use
> > your previously working kernel.  Most linuxes keep old kernels around
> > by default until you manually uninstall them.  Do you have options for
> > different kernels when you boot?  If not, we'll need to look deeper.
> >
> No I don't have options for different kernels when I boot.  But I'm
> thinking about reinstalling.  Here's why.  This system is only about two
> weeks old.  There's not that much to lose.  /home is on a separate
> partition.  So everthing in my home directory should be there.  That
> includes the recent LUGOD emails I've gotten on how to configure my
> fstab.  Plus I've even got a copy of the old fstab in my home directory.
>
> So I'm thinking that a reinstall will be a fairly quick and easy
> solution.  I should be up and running in an hour.  But we'll see.  If
> the reinstall goes well, then this might be an example of the importance
> of having a separate /home partition.
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
> Bob

Mark K. Kim