Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

On Thu 23 Dec 04,  4:20 PM, Robert G. Scofield <rscofield@afes.com> said:
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
> >Don't panic because of a kernel panic!
> >
> >Your system should be recoverable.  From what I can tell, the module
> >for reiserfs in your new kernel is bad.  The simple solution is to use
> >your previously working kernel.  Most linuxes keep old kernels around
> >by default until you manually uninstall them.  Do you have options for
> >different kernels when you boot?  If not, we'll need to look deeper.
> >
> No I don't have options for different kernels when I boot.  But I'm
> thinking about reinstalling.  Here's why.  This system is only about two
> weeks old.  There's not that much to lose.  /home is on a separate
> partition.  So everthing in my home directory should be there.  That
> includes the recent LUGOD emails I've gotten on how to configure my
> fstab.  Plus I've even got a copy of the old fstab in my home directory.
>
> So I'm thinking that a reinstall will be a fairly quick and easy
> solution.  I should be up and running in an hour.  But we'll see.  If
> the reinstall goes well, then this might be an example of the importance
> of having a separate /home partition.
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
> Bob

Being able to recover from this kind of thing is of prime importance for the
scenario that a system you depend on gets hosed.

As long as you don't care about the system, take the opportunity to learn
how to recover.  At best, you'll get your system back.  At worst, you'll
learn a little more than you know now.

What exactly do you see when you boot that system?

Pete