Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Jonathan Stickel wrote:

Don't panic because of a kernel panic!

Your system should be recoverable. From what I can tell, the module for reiserfs in your new kernel is bad. The simple solution is to use your previously working kernel. Most linuxes keep old kernels around by default until you manually uninstall them. Do you have options for different kernels when you boot? If not, we'll need to look deeper.

No I don't have options for different kernels when I boot. But I'm thinking about reinstalling. Here's why. This system is only about two weeks old. There's not that much to lose. /home is on a separate partition. So everthing in my home directory should be there. That includes the recent LUGOD emails I've gotten on how to configure my fstab. Plus I've even got a copy of the old fstab in my home directory.

So I'm thinking that a reinstall will be a fairly quick and easy solution. I should be up and running in an hour. But we'll see. If the reinstall goes well, then this might be an example of the importance of having a separate /home partition.

Thank you for responding.

Bob