Re: [vox-tech] Kernel Panic

Don't panic because of a kernel panic!

Your system should be recoverable. From what I can tell, the module for reiserfs in your new kernel is bad. The simple solution is to use your previously working kernel. Most linuxes keep old kernels around by default until you manually uninstall them. Do you have options for different kernels when you boot? If not, we'll need to look deeper.

Jonathan

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
I'm in big trouble. I just updated my kernel with the SuSE update. I now a get this error message when I boot:

reiserfs: no version for 'struct-module' found: kernel tainted

reiserfs: verson magic: '2.6.8-24.10-um gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.8-24.10-default 586 REPARMgcc-3.3'

insmod: error inserting 'lib/modules/2.6.8-24.10-um/kernel/fs/reiserfs/reiserfs.ko:' :-1 Invalid module format

waiting for device /dev/hhdb2 to appear: ok

rootfs: major=3 minor=66 devn=834

kernel panic= not syncing VFS: unable to mount roof fs on unknown block (3,66)"

I copied this from handwritten notes so it might not be exact.

Is there a simple way to fix this, or do I reinstall the whole system?

With my CD I can get to rescue mode with a prompt for root to issue commands, but I never know what to do.

If it's not worth messing with, let me know.

Thank you.

Bob