Re: [vox-tech] Microsoft triumphs over open source in India

På torsdag, 23 december 2004, skrev Bill Kendrick:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:41:32PM -0800, Norm Matloff wrote:
> <snip>
> [quoting an article...]
> > Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, on a visit to India in November 2002, wooed
> > the federal and state governments in India, offering to sell his company's
> > software at prices much lower than market rates.
>
> Which pisses off everyone ELSE, because it makes them feel stupid for
> paying 'full price.' :^)

I would also like to point out that there is really no such thing as a
non-market transaction on that scale. A more accurate statement would be
that the market rates (= what buyers are willing to pay) for proprietary MS
software are very low in India. Since software is nor particularly
supply-limited, this likely indicated soft demand. Or, in plain English,
the Indians don't really want the software all that much. ;-)

--
Henry House
+1 530 753 3361 ext. 13