Re: [vox-tech] PDF Editing/Data Entry Question

Re: [vox-tech] PDF Editing/Data Entry Question

Quoting Charles McLaughlin (cmclaughlin@ucdavis.edu):

> I have a PDF file that I'd like to add a text entry box to.  The goal is
> to have people download the file, type into it and print it out.
>
> I know the commercial version of Adobe Acrobat offers this feature.  Are
> there any FOSS programs available that do this?

These links brought to you courtesy of feedback postings to a recent
"Grumpy Editor's Guide to PDF Viewers" feature on LWN.net:  A reader
asked about PDF _editors_.

Reader evgeny said:

  Consider Panda/Pandaflex
  (http://www.stillhq.com/cgi-bin/blosxom/panda/). If Java is acceptable,
  see pdfbox (http://www.pdfbox.org/) and pjx
  (http://www.etymon.com/epub.html).

Reader DrBubba said:

  perl has the PDF::API2 bundle that I've used to break a series of pdf
  files down into pages and then reassemble them into a single document.
  This will require a little bit of coding on your part and the
  documentation with the module is a little bit spotty.

Reader tekNico said:

  $ apt-cache show pdftk
  If PDF is electronic paper, then pdftk is an electronic stapler-remover,
  hole-punch, binder, secret-decoder-ring, and X-Ray-glasses. Pdftk is a
  simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. Keep one in the
  top drawer of your desktop and use it to:
   - Merge PDF documents
   - Split PDF pages into a new document
   - Decrypt input as necessary (password required)
   - Encrypt output as desired
   - Burst a PDF document into single pages
   - Report PDF on metrics, including metadata and bookmarks
   - Uncompress and re-compress page streams
   - Repair corrupted PDF (where possible)

  Author: Sid Steward <ssteward@accesspdf.com>
  Homepage: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk

Which in turn got two replies.  Reader kfiles said:

  And pdftk itself uses the handy Java iText libraries for actual PDF
  composition/decomposition. iText can specifically address the author's
  desire to modify PDF content inline. And if you don't want to use
  run-time Java interpreting, you can copy pdftk's technique of
  precompiling to native code using gjc.

  See:
    http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

Reader liamh said:

  I had good luck with "Mad Builder PDF Assembler"
  http://thierry.schmit.free.fr/dev/mbtPdfAsm/enMbtPdfAsm2....
  It took a little while to figure out - you have to create an
  assembly/disassembly script - but it seems quite versatile.

I haven't personally investigated any of this stuff, but I've been
meaning to, Real Soon Now.

--
Cheers,   There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know quaternary,
Rick Moen those who only recently figured out Ron Fabre's "ternary" .sig, those