Re: [vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

Re: [vox-tech] New Account Can't Access Windows Partition

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, Bill Kendrick wrote:

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 11:17:42PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
On Sunday 19 December 2004 23:00, Bill Kendrick wrote:

I think because it's a mount point, you can't really affect its
permissions. Can you remind us what the exact fstab entry was that you
used?
Yes, thank you Bill.  Here's the Ken Bloom creation:

/dev/hda1            /mnt/windows         vfat
defaults,uid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077

Remember, I don't know what any of this means after the "vfat" entry.
Ah, here we go.  "uid" would be the 'user id' for who 'owns' this
mounted drive.  In this case, I'm guessing "bob"'s uid is 1000. :^)

The 'fmask' and 'dmask' are no doubt octal masks that set the permissions
of files and directories (respectively) once the drive is mounted.

Try removing "uid=1000" and replace it with simply "user", and see if
the new account can mount the drive themselves, and if so, if they can
read and write to it...

Marking it as "user" would just allow the user to mount it manually. It would not affect the permissions that are being applied when the partition is mounted automatically at boot time.

Adding a gid=<insert desired group here> and modifing the masks to allow group read/write access would allow all users in that group to access the drive. I would suggest making a special group for writing to the Windows drive and adding the desired users to that group.