[vox-tech] Re: question - perl and databases

[vox-tech] Re: question - perl and databases

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Hi Jay,

Question about Perl databases.  I want to write an application that uses a
db.  Never played with db before.  Ultimately, I want to write something that
creates a webpage using the db data.

I also want people to be able to simply install my program without worrying
about installing other software, like msql or postgresql.

When you use DBI, do you *have* to have a separate daemon-run database or is
there a Perl module that provides a backend to DBI?

I'd rather use DBI because it's more convenient for complex data structures
and so I can use SQL, but if you need to install a database to use DBI, I
might try to make due with DBM.

Pete

Pete,

There are various ways to use DBI without a RDBMS server running somewhere. Take a gander at search.cpan.org, and search for "DBD".

There are drivers to run against various types of flat files: cvs, DBD::WTSprite, DBD::SQLite2

HTH
Jay