Re: [vox-tech] Can a User Write To Windows Partition?

Re: [vox-tech] Can a User Write To Windows Partition?

Each file system type has its own set of options.  Adding those extra
options probably won't affect a VFAT partition in anyway (it'll probably
be ignored.)  `man mount` has the list of standard file systems and the
options applicable for each FS.

Good luck!

-Mark

PS: "acl" = "access control list", "user_xattr" = "User extended
attributes"... neither feature is available on VFAT.  I've never seen user
extended attributes but ACL is used kind of like the standard UNIX
user/group permissions control but it gives you extended features.  Never
used it much but the UC Davis EE department uses it on their network.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> On Saturday 11 December 2004 18:24, Ken Bloom wrote:
>
> > Here's an fstab entry I have on 2.6:
> >
> > /dev/hda6       /home/bloom/vfat vfat
> > defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077 0 2
> >
> > Note that in a real fstab file, that would all be on one line.
> >
> > This gives me rw------- on files and rwx------ on directories. Note that
> > you need x on directories in order to cd to them
>
> I might try an entry like that.  But consider the entry below for my home
> directory:
>
> /dev/hdb7            /home                reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 2
>
> I don't know what "acl,user_xattr" means.  But what if I added that entry to
> my Windows partition.  Do you think that would work without ruining
> something?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Mark K. Kim