Re: [vox-tech] Can a User Write To Windows Partition?

Re: [vox-tech] Can a User Write To Windows Partition?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:02:30 -0800
Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> wrote:

> On Friday 10 December 2004 11:01 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 10:54:50PM -0800, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > > It seems to me that I remember being able to use Open Office in
> > > Linux to write to Windows files.  But maybe it's my memory that is
> > > failing.  Does anybody know if it is possible for a mere user to
> > > write to Windows files, and if so what FSTAB entry will enable
> > > this?
> >
> > A quick Google search came up with something that looks of use:
> >
> >   "Share Partitions Between Linux and Windows HOWTO"
> >   http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/partition-share-HOWTO.html
>
> Right, I guess the umask option is the key.  My fstab entry
> for this is:
>
> /dev/hda1           /mnt/win      vfat      umask=0           0 0

If you're using Kernel 2.4, you should use umask and showexec.
If you're using Kernel 2.6, you should use fmask and dmask.
In either case, you can avoid making the partition world-writable (or
readable if you so choose) by using the uid and gid options.

Here's an fstab entry I have on 2.6:

/dev/hda6       /home/bloom/vfat vfat
defaults,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=177,dmask=077 0 2

Note that in a real fstab file, that would all be on one line.

This gives me rw------- on files and rwx------ on directories. Note that
you need x on directories in order to cd to them

--Ken Bloom