Re: [vox-tech] USB/Firewire HDDs with laptop

Re: [vox-tech] USB/Firewire HDDs with laptop

Are you wanting to boot Linux off the external drive? I don't believe that is an easy thing to do. You probably want to dual boot linux and windows on your internal drive. If you need more space, you can subsequently set up mount points on the external drive for things like /home, /opt, /usr/local, etc.

Jonathan

ronald@myvirtualemail.biz wrote:
Hi All,

Has anybody had experience with installing and using Linux on an external
drive (USB/Firewire) for a laptop.

I'm not ready to trash an existing HDD running M/S on newest laptop, and
an external drive is the cheapest solution.

I'm looking at installing CentOS (http://www.caosity.org/) a RHEL 3 free
port, necessary as I'm wanting to trial Oracle 10g. Unfortunately, only
the M/S laptop has enough ram (1GB) for it to work.

Any feedback or experiences would be most appreciated.

Regards

Ronald Bradford