Re: [vox-tech] Installing from .gz archive?

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Richard Crawford wrote:

> At the moment, this step is moot.  Whenever this computer was originally
> set up, the tech enabled the "setup password" in the BIOS screen, so I
> can't set it up to boot from the floppy until I get that password. And
> no one seems to know what it is (it's an old computer, at least two
> techs ago).

You can do what Bill suggested, but try several default passwords
that come with some [older?] BIOSes first.  Like "AMI", "Award", etc.
See:

  http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

Failing that, try obtaining one of many BIOS password crackers out there.

If you do what Bill suggested by removing the battery, be prepared to wipe
out the hard drive, because some older systems don't have the ability to
detect the hard drive capacity automatically so they have manual settings,
which you must re-input into the BIOS exactly in order to get the system
to boot without reformatting it.

Oh, and you might have to wait several hours after removing the battery to
clear the BIOS -- some systems charge up the battery for several hours
after it's removed.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim