Re: [vox-tech] portable mp3 player in linux

Re: [vox-tech] portable mp3 player in linux

  [ apologies for breaking the thread, too quick with delete ]

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:48:54 -0800, Brian Richter wrote:

> If I had the money, I would get a Neuros. www.neurosaudio.com

I agree that if you want to hack your player, the neuros is (possibly
the only) way to go, and could be fun if you had the time.  I don't, and
I ultimately decided against it based on the following:

                        Neuros HD 40GB     iRiver H140 40GB
		        --------------     ----------------
 Mass (g):              266                172
 Dimensions (mm):       134x78x33          105x60x22
 I/O:                   line               SPDIF+line
 Record to MP3 (kbps):  64-160             40-320
 Charge Time (hrs):     8                  3
 Remote:                --                 Backlit LCD
 Playback Time (hrs):   10                 16
 Battery Type:          Li-ion             Li-polymer
 EQ:                    ??                 6 modes

These are just the things that were obvious, and the rest of the specs
are similar between the players.  Apparently lithium polymer batteries
last as much as 3x longer than lithium ion, which is good because like
the neuros, the battery in the iRiver is not user replaceable.  I'm
guessing the iRiver battery is much more expensive to replace as a
result.

Of course the neuros has the FM broadcasting, which I'm not sure is
practical, but it's cool.  And it has a large skip protection buffer
which is nice.  The neuros is also quite a bit cheaper ($300 vs. $400),
but there are lower capacity versions of both.

David Hummel
Informatics Program
Children's Hospital Boston