January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

Re: [vox-tech] Slack 10 print problem solved

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Bill Wells wrote:
#### PC parallel port support ###
tupport ###
Bad paste? If not, remove this line

<snip>
#### Parallel printer support ###
if cat /proc/ksyms | grep "\[lp\]" 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null ; then
 echo "lp support built-in, not loading module" > /dev/null
else
 if [ -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o \
      -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/misc/lp.o.gz \
      -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o \
      -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.o.gz \
      -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko \
      -o -r /lib/modules/$RELEASE/kernel/drivers/char/lp.ko.gz ]; then
   /sbin/modprobe lp
 fi
fi

Have you tried removing the if statements entirely and just directly replacing it with "/sbin/modprobe lp" and so on for the other modules? Not the most elegant solution, but certainly the most direct since these sections of rc.modules are very 2.4.x series kernel specific. If it works in rc.local, it should work in rc.modules and that will solve your CUPS issue as well (ie the module will load before CUPS so CUPS will see the interface when it loads). I cannot emphasize enough that rc.local is NOT the place to be loading kernel modules, due to both its position in the boot sequence and the fact it does not get called in single user mode. It's perfectly acceptable to add new modprobe lines to rc.modules. Just remember what you did so you can redo it if you reinstall.