2004 Nov 30 20:41

Re: [vox-tech] What address to put my gateway/router

Re: [vox-tech] What address to put my gateway/router

Rod Roark wrote:

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 05:17 pm, Jay Strauss wrote:

Hi,

Simple question (probably going to be one of those, "depends").

My linksys router's default address is: 192.168.1.1, when I install Linux (Debian) it's default gateway address: 192.168.1.254. Not that either of them are hard to change but...

What address do you guys normally put your router?

Well, my local network used to be 192.168.1.* until a client
wanted me to be on their VPN which also had that address, so
I changed mine to 192.168.8.* and it's been that way ever
since. Why 8? Because it's fastest to type when the
previously typed digit was 8.

By that reasoning, I guess my gateway box (which is also my
nameserver, web server, mail server, NTP server, etc.)
should be 192.168.8.8, but it's 192.168.8.1.

-- Rod

The .254 gateway address is old school, and I guess that the folks who wrote the linux setup script picked .254 to show that they have been around for a while. It really doesn't matter what the gateway is ( as long as it's on the same network ), but all of the new consumer products generally have the gateway at .1, whether thats 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.33.1

I will normally leave the gateway at .1 because that seems to be the new standard.

Mark