2004 Nov 30 18:06

Re: [vox-tech] What address to put my gateway/router

On Tuesday 30 November 2004 05:17 pm, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Simple question (probably going to be one of those, "depends").
>
> My linksys router's default address is: 192.168.1.1, when I install
> Linux (Debian) it's default gateway address: 192.168.1.254.  Not that
> either of them are hard to change but...
>
> What address do you guys normally put your router?

Well, my local network used to be 192.168.1.* until a client
wanted me to be on their VPN which also had that address, so
I changed mine to 192.168.8.* and it's been that way ever
since.  Why 8?  Because it's fastest to type when the
previously typed digit was 8.

By that reasoning, I guess my gateway box (which is also my
nameserver, web server, mail server, NTP server, etc.)
should be 192.168.8.8, but it's 192.168.8.1.

-- Rod