2004 Nov 30 15:58

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

Re: [vox-tech] computer pretending to be a printer

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:50:09 -0800
Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):
>
> > Well, in terms of the parallel solution - the machine's parallel
> > port could probably only speak printerese - not PLIP.
>
> Parallel ports that cannot do PLIP exist but are rare.  Any such port
> that can do ECP or EPP extensions to the original Centronics port
> design is fine (with the aforementioned laplink cable) -- and those
> have been, in my experience, the rule rather than the exception for
> about a decade.

I meant that the machine probably wasn't programmed to speak PLIP over
it's parallel port, as most printers don't seem to need it (?). I hope
I've clarified my original statement sufficiently, because I think this
subthread might be in danger of breaking Khendon's Law.

--Ken Bloom