2004 Nov 30 14:56

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] computer pretending to be a modem (Was:computer pretending to be a printer)

Re: [vox-tech] [OT] computer pretending to be a modem (Was:computer pretending to be a printer)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:23:27 -0800
Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:05:49PM -0800, Ken Bloom wrote:
> >
> > (Now, I'm curious to try emulating a parallel printer using a Linux
> > box.)
>
> Somewhat related, I think, but totally off-topic for this situation,
> is a project called "tcpser".
>
> It provides computers that connect via a serial port (e.g., an 8-bit
> computer that you'd normally use a modem with) access to your network
> and the Internet.
>
> I haven't played with it myself, and it appears to not have a proper
> 'home page', but it's GPL and can be found here:
>
>   http://www.jbrain.com/pub/linux/serial/
>
> Here's a Usenet post from the author.  Sounds neat.  Maybe I shouldn't
> have given away my Atari 850 serial connector device!
>
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=zd1id.359283%24D%25.273710%40attbi_s51

For this, I think you can use a null-modem cable with SLIP (Serial Line
Internet Protocol) or PPP.